Monday, March 29, 2010

The Trees of Arkansas



When we got into Arkansas, Adolfo and I were both surprised to see so many pine trees. Adolfo is a big fan of pine trees, and I remember them fondly from growing up in California. Texas has very few besides those found in Lost Pines State Park.

As we gazed at the beautiful pines, I noticed a lot of seemingly dead trees among the pines. Then, I looked down beside the roads and saw mounds of leaves. It hit me, we are missing the show. This area must have been incredible in the fall. We’re here at the wrong time, I thought.

But here and there I began to see trees that were covered with beautiful white flowers. These were stunning against the green pines, and Adolfo and I started looking for the perfect one to photograph.

Our attention was immediately drawn away from the white trees, when we caught sight of a huge bouquet of pink flowers disguised as a tree. I was truly blown away, this was perhaps the most beautiful tree I have ever seen. I fell in love. We saw these trees again in Little Rock. They surround the state Capitol—-What a scene!

Now, as we have moved to higher territory, I haven’t seen so many of the pink bouquet trees, but there are a lot of bright yellow and red bushes, other trees are covered with promising tiny red buds, and the dry, bare trees are showing signs of light green life.

3 comments:

  1. Those trees are lovely, Vicky. Any idea what they are?

    Oh, and there are plenty of pines in East Texas! Up around Conroe, Livingston, Lufkin, maybe sometime you can check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, I don't know what they are. Keep thinking I'll ask a ranger, but then I forget.

    I guess I should watch what I say about pine trees in Texas. I supposedly live in Livingston.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really beautiful photos. That brilliant yellow shrub is Forsythia. I'm loving the blog and the photos. Helen

    ReplyDelete