Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Just a Little Pampering


Buckstaff Bathhouse
Hot Springs, Arkansas

After three days in Hot Springs, I finally got a hot bath! The National Park Headquarters explained that two of the bathhouses are in operation today, and only one of those offers the traditional bath. That made my decision quite simple—-I was headed for Buckstaff Bathhouse for a traditional hot bath. This one was sure to cure my cough and help me lose 60 lbs. Adolfo and I packed bags with swim suits, towels, shampoo, and soap—-all useless at the bathhouse. Men and women go off in different directions, and no accessories are needed.

So, here was the process for a woman’s whirlpool bath:

  1. An employee of the bathhouse took me to the dressing room where I stripped and stored my clothing in a locker.

  2. A second employee, assigned to me for the entire process, wrapped me in a sheet and took me to a private bathtub. A whirlpool contraption was attached to the tub and made the bath into a jacuzzi. I sat there for a good 10 to 15 minutes enjoying the comforting bath and wondering what a woman of the 1920s would have been thinking as she took a similar bath.

  3. Julie, my helper, came back, again wrapped me in a sheet, and directed me to the sitz bath. This one is a small tub just big enough for my rear end. I sat there while my butt warmed for another few minutes before Julie returned with two cups of refreshing, cold water.

  4. For the next step, Julie directed me to a box with a hole in the top just big enough to fit my head. This was a Texas summer in a box. I sat in that thing to sweat for way too long. I had to beg to get out before I fainted. This was probably the step in the process that was supposed to help me lose the 60 lbs., but just like most diets, I couldn’t stand it long.

  5. Next, Julie took me to a room where I lay on a table for a good while, wrapped in hot towels. Julie was kind to me and gave me a cool towel for around my head.

  6. The last step was a fantastic shower. This one had eight showerheads pointed at me from all angles. It was like getting a massage in the shower.


I was too cheap to order a real massage, but I felt quite pampered anyway. Now I’ve just got to convince Adolfo to install a whirlpool bathtub and an eight-head shower in the trailer. That won’t happen, but he did figure out how to get hot water in the trailer. I cannot complain about that.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Makes me want to upgrade from the hot tub in my patio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your hot tub just may already be an upgrade. However, the rest of the pampering would be nice additions. The bathhouses didn't include the option to watch hummingbirds, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the comment likening the steambath with staying on a diet! My problem exactly - I can do about a week max and then I want something good so....

    Helen

    ReplyDelete