Friday, September 24, 2010

Stars on El Capitan

As we descend into the Yosemite Valley, El Capitan’s massive granite wall towers over us, and we are captivated by its presence. Cars immediately pull to the side of the road, and people stare up at the Salathe Wall. From this viewpoint no climbers are visible to the naked eye, but when I squint, I see a tiny blot of color ascending the wall. My binoculars reveal the presence of several climbers, and I am amazed at their skill. Do they have suction cups on their hands and feet?

After a day of hiking, Adolfo and I begin to drive out of the valley. But first, we decide to see the moon rise over El Capitan and Half Dome. The valley is now dark, but the sky is lit by the full moon. El Capitan’s silhouette begins to glow with the moon’s light.

As we gaze up at the massive wall, small lights like stars begin to twinkle on the sides of the cliff. First one or two, then up to twelve lights spread across the Salathe Wall. I stare in awe as I realize that each of these lights belongs to a climber who will have to sleep while hanging from a rope. Wow! What courage! What skill! What insanity!

See Adolfo's photo taken at night: http://www.flickr.com/photos/adolfo_isassi/5137784317/?ref=nf

No comments:

Post a Comment