Monday, May 31, 2010

Huts Galore



Back in Austin it is not uncommon to find a small hut, truck, or trailer selling tamales or tacos. I’ve never thought much about them, except that they often provide good food.

More recently, cupcakes have also been sold in small trailers—often Airstreams. These cupcakes are sold in trendy communities where only Airstreams would be appropriate.

When we got to the northeastern section of Texas and into Arkansas, we started to see tiny huts and trailers selling BBQ. It seemed they were everywhere. I don’t think any of these were Airstreams, though. In fact, I think these BBQ places would be appalled by the idea of selling BBQ from a Yuppy-mobile. Unfortunately, I never took pictures of these small BBQ huts.

Now that we have hit the north, here they are again. Only, they are not selling tamales, cupcakes, or BBQ. Instead, these huts sell coffee, and they appear on nearly every street corner. I haven’t seen any Airstream Espresso-mobiles, yet. But here I think it would be quite appropriate.


Who knows what the Canadians or Alaskans will be selling from huts. I’ll keep my eyes open. Perhaps we will find a Mooseburger hut. I won’t even be surprised to find Sarah Palin selling wolf meat from a posh Airstream after a good hunt.

1 comment:

  1. mmmm, moose burgers and wolf meat. Yum!

    So interesting to see the evolution of food across the country!

    ReplyDelete