Saturday, June 19, 2010

Boondocking Without a Gun



RVs camping for free along the road

After complaining about camping costs, Adolfo and I finally decided to follow the smart crowd and stay overnight on the side of the road. I’ve been nagging Adolfo for days to do this. After all, everyone else on the road seems to be avoiding the $35.00 RV parking lot costs to stay in overview pullouts with mountain-, river-, or lake-views. Adolfo was concerned that it might be illegal, immoral, or unsafe. For me, frugality always seems to win out over silly concerns such as safety.

So, this evening as we drove beside the Yukon’s biggest lake, Kluane, I mentioned that we should pull over and take some pictures. We got out, took pictures, talked with another couple making the trip on a motorcycle, and got very comfortable. Again, I nagged, “Geez, Adolfo, this might be a nice place to spend the night.”

Our gorgeous free camp site!

“I would if there was another trailer doing it” Adolfo stated, trying to sound willing, “but it just seems too unsafe by ourselves.” We rested some more. After about thirty minutes, I saw a motor home pull in. I watched carefully for signs that they were planning to stay.

Nothing for a while. I gave up waiting for signs, and when a man came out of the trailer, I walked over and started general conversation. “Where are you from?” “Where are you headed?” He answered and then asked me if we were staying over night. Bingo.

“I think so. How about you?” I asked.

“We’ll stay if you do,” he responded. “My wife was concerned it might not be safe unless someone else were here, too.”

“We’re in the same boat,” I admitted, “We’ll stay” I promised without consulting Adolfo.

A while later, while we were chatting with the couple, another rig pulled in. A man in camo came over and began chatting with us while his grand children took out bikes and started riding around the area.

In a short time the two men started discussing border regulations and guns. The man in camo described how he used to hide his guns so border agents wouldn’t find them.

“I feel naked without a gun” he claimed.

“I’m sure glad you’re staying here with us” the other suggested.

At some point in the conversation, the man in camo explained that passing guns over the border isn’t a big issue, you just have to fill out some paperwork.

“I’m gonna buy a gun in Fairbanks” the first guy exclaimed.

I thought about it a bit this evening. With all the terrible warnings about bears, and signs like this one, I have to admit that these two men are far more likely to survive in this area of the world than I am.

Still, I think I’ll skip the gun shopping in Fairbanks.

3 comments:

  1. Ha! Love that sign. Glad to hear the adventures keep coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my god, what a story! starting with the perfect campsite and ending with death on a sign...so akward...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luna, Don't worry. The sign was just a joke. The conversation between the men was not, though.

    ReplyDelete